Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bryce is Nice



On the way to Bryce, we passed through Red Canyon, which is just what it says. It was just a hint of things to come.

At first Bryce didn't seem like much more than a mountain forest campground. It does take your breath away, since we camped at 8,000 feet. Then we drove 18 miles to the far end and started making our way back. At the far end, there was a controlled burn by the firefighters. They said that it would prevent flash fires that might endanger people later and it also helps to restore the native grasses. I met the firefighters up close and personal. Firefighters Andrew and Joe were so nice. They talked as long as we wanted to ask questions. They get laid off after the fire season, but they work a years worth of hours during the season, so they are pretty tired. Joe goes back to Baltimore and works in a wood working factory. Andrew travels and rests and does odd jobs to balance the budget. Last year he went to Australia for a month. He majored in psychology, and then he realized that he could work where people like to come for vacation.

I also talked to Ranger Linda. Her degree was in architecture, and she got into being a ranger when one of her jobs was working on a park building. She just loves being outdoors instead of in an office all day.

I am thinking about being a ranger myself, and Margaret bought me a book about all the ranger jobs there are. I'm going to share it with my class when I get back.

Then we started looking a scenery. If you work your way north from the southernmost end, you build scenery as you go. Ranger Linda told us the best of the 15 viewpoints to stop for. My favorite upper view was the Natural Bridge, which is technically an arch since it was formed by exfoliation, not water. We also stopped at Farview, Agua Canyon, and Swamp Canyon. Each one was more breathtaking. At times it felt like we were looking 100 miles away, and in fact, Navajo Mountain is 80 miles away. It was like Zion with a Grand Canyon vista. The formations of rock, called hoodoos, are eroded spires of all colors.

In the north canyon the most spectacular viewpoints waited for us. Paria View was layers of hoodoos. Dodie said, "It just keeps going." Bryce had to be the most breathtaking for me. There was an exhibit about the people the canyon was named for. Mr. Ebenezer Bryce was a mormon preacher who farmed in the area. What he had to say about the canyon? "Heck of a place to lose a cow." I could hardly catch my breath at the vistas and the formations. Dodie got dizzy, and so did Margaret. She says it is the altitude, 9,115 feet at the highest observation point.

We finished the day at Inspiration Point, and by then we were all too dizzy to look. Oh my what a place.

When we got back to the RV, we were ready to crash. But the night sky was too special to do that. There's no light pollution here, and the stars were right on top of my head. I have never seen so many stars in my life.

Well, I really must get some sleep. More vistas tomorrow.

No comments: