Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Spelunking





I met nice Rangers at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Rangers Jennifer and Jo Ann. My first adventure was the bat flight at 6:45 pm. It was quite a spectacle, bats pouring out of the natural opening of the big cave. Did you know it is the biggest cave in the whole world? Lightning and rain cut our bat watching short, but we sure saw plenty of them. They are Mexican bats, and they eat bugs all night long. They come back in the cave about 4:30 in the AM. We couldn't take close up pictures because the sound of electronics messes with the bat radar.

Then on the way down the mountain we saw a whole roost of buzzards circling a canyon. And THEN when we were on the highway, an owl flew in front of us. When we got to camp, there were rabbits everywhere driving Daisy wild. This morning I saw a roadrunner in camp. What a wildlife day.

We went back to the cave this morning to see underground....I guess you can understand why we couldn't be in there during bat flight. What a huge cave it is. The easy walk takes about an hour and 1/2. Then there are all sorts of other tours you can take deeper into the cave. I hope you look at some of the photos in the albums. The one I included above is called the Lion's Tail.

That's all about the cave. I will see you soon to talk about Texas and another National Park.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: